Askew's Landing Campground
The campground was established in 1983 by Knox and Roma Askew. It arose out of their love for camping. They were members of the local Good Sam camping club
Since that time many changes have taken place. The campground now has over 40 full hook-ups sites (electric, water and sewer), Two modern bath houses with showers and toilets, A laundry, swimming pool and large covered pavilion. We also offer a 15 acre fishing lake stocked with bream and catfish along with two miles of nature trails.
Bridgeport Plantation was established by Duklet Askew in 1859. He along with his brother traveled from North Carolina to Mississippi in search of land to purchase in hopes of building a cotton plantation. He purchased 2000 acres north of Edwards along the Bridgeport Road ( circa 1826 ). He began by clearing over 500 acres, farmed cotton and built and operated a ferry across the Big Black River. Soon after he built a cotton gin and general store close to the ferry on Bridgeport Road.
Life on Bridgeport Plantation was interrupted in 1863 by the Civil War, when fighting occurred there and the ferry was destroyed. The Plantation is now listed on the National Register of Historical Landmarks and 300 acres of the property still remain in the Askew family.